- This event has passed.
Making School Work for Your Child
October 8, 2014 @ 7:30 pm - 9:00 pmFree
A Workshop for Parents of Special Needs Children
This is the first in a four-part series of workshops for parents of children with special needs based on the new book No Parent Left Behind: Navigating the Special Education Universe. The workshops will provide parents with a toolbox for ensuring that their child makes effective progress. All 4 Making School Work workshops are now available with presentation slides and with videos in Youtube format or high resolution Vimeo format:
- October 8 – Speed bumps on the road to success – when to watch and when to worry (see Speedbumps on the Road to Success presentation, Youtube video or Vimeo video)
- October 22 – Understanding independent evaluations (see Understanding Independent Evaluations presentation, Youtube video or Vimeo video)
- November 5 – 7 habits of highly effective special needs families (see Seven Habits presentation, Youtube video or Vimeo video)
- November 19 – Effective progress – what it means and how to help your child achieve it (see Effective Progress presentation, Youtube video or Vimeo video)
All 4 workshops will be held at the Follen Community Church Community Center, 755 Massachusetts Avenue, Lexington, MA 02420. Sponsored by the Caring Congregation Committee. (See below for a map.) There will be time for individual questions. Registration and refreshments beginning at 7:15.
Who should attend: any parent whose child struggles to achieve success in school, due to:
- Learning disabilities
- Language/communication problems
- Autism spectrum disorders
- Social/emotional issues
- Developmental or physical difficulties
Dr Susan Brefach, clinical psychologist and certified school psychologist, is the author of “No Parent Left Behind: Navigating the Special Education Universe“. She has evaluated and advocated for children with a wide range of special needs for 32 years. She has a private practice in Bedford, MA. Information at www.susanbrefach.com.
Pre-registration is requested so sufficient handouts are available for participants. To pre-register, or for more information, email us using the contact form below. To download this flyer, click Making School Work Workshop flyer.